Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 3/4: Living on a Pound a Day - Get around round round I get around

Neon Swirls of Doom
Do you ever feel like life just goes around in circles?
If so, you gotta hop off the merry-go-round.
Day 3 was the realisation of not having any other forms of personal transport really affects one social activity. Sure, i was extolling the virtues of walking in my earlier post, there is a limit to how far you can walk without spending half the day traveling to your destination. SD invited me out to Yum Cha / Dim Sum which i had to politely decline. CP then invited me out to watch the Oxford vs Cambridge Boat Race over at Putney. Again another polite apologetic decline. In order to be extend my traveling range, I'm going to have to get me a set of wheels - bicycle.

Dejected, I headed out to inspect what food options where available to me. Asking the the local grocer for the cheapest vegetable options, i was met with the response "Potatoes". At 68p for 2kg, who could argue with the guy. Keen to find out what else this insightful knowledge grocer had i continued to prod further.
"So what other vegetables can i get on the cheap"
"Cabbage!"
"Isn't that what Polish grandmas eat?"
"85p, are you going to buy or not?"
"um ... OK!"
I can't say I've had much experience with cooking cabbage. My encounters with cabbage have been limited. Coleslaw and maybe as a sauerkraut. From experience, i recall consuming large quantities of cabbage causeth his wind to blow as noted in Psalm 147:18.
So what does one do with cabbage and potatoes? Warren's Cooking 101, when in doubt - make soup. Combine vegetables, throw in a tin of tomatoes(48p) , add water, salt, pepper - meal served.

Breakfast: Porridge
Lunch: Porridge
Dinner: Split Red Lentil Soup / Roast Potato.

Daily Spend: 2.01
___________________________

Day 4 has arrived and I've got in touch with IL and his offered to lend me his bicycle. Only problem is his located down south, whilst I'm up North. To compromise, we have agreed to meet in the middle. Problem is I'm not going to get there at a suitable time if I walk. It mean's I've got to use public transport. The average cost of one way tube fare is about 1.80 ~ 2.20. A bus on the other hand is 1.20. No second guessing as to which option I'm taking. The Bus!

After a stop off to checkout a free photo exhibition(A Positive View) at Somerset House, I embark on my trek on home. It's been a while since I've ridden a bicycle and having never negotiated London traffic, I am anxious.
Findings: Whoever tells you London is flat, their lying. I managed to get lost and come across some seemingly challenging hills. Whether i owe that to my lack of bike fitness or that the hills formed a pact to make it difficult for my initial ride, i just can't be certain. Either way, I'm looking to develop some hamstrings that cut through steel!

Breakfast: Porridge
Lunch: Coleslaw - Red Cabbage / Carrot
Dinner: Tomato, Cabbage and Potato Soup.

Daily Spend: 1.20
Budget Spent: 5.08

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP